Can You Vape Shatter?High Glower
Dabbing is by far the most popular way of consuming shatter concentrate. However, advancements in the cannabis industry due to the legalization of marijuana have led to vape pens that you can use to smoke shatter.
The use of cannabis concentrates such as shatter and wax has grown in popularity over the past few years. In 2020, approximately 57% of legal marijuana purchases in America were for cannabis concentrates. This number is equivalent to $10.2 billion in cannabis concentrate items, including vapes, tinctures, topicals, and edibles.
The legalization of weed in many states in the United States has led to innovations in the sector to provide various consumer products. First, many sales are attributed to the purchase of weed, then cannabis extracts, followed by consumer products like dab rigs and vape pens.
Smoking shatter has also grown in popularity due to its high potency and almost instant high. The high potency is attributed to the enormous percentage of THC and other cannabinoids in the marijuana concentrate. You can expect to get up to 90% THC in these concentrates, which are huge compared to the 30% you normally get from the marijuana flower buds.
Today, we will look at shatter, its properties, and how it is conventionally smoked. Then, we look at the popular ways of smoking cannabis concentrates and dive into the emerging trends on how to smoke shatter using a vaporizer. Additionally, you will get to know the various types and ways of vaping concentrates such as wax.
What is shatter and what are its properties
The shatter concentrate is an attractive concentrate due to its translucent appearance and fragile texture. The texture is brittle and hard, something that you can compare to hard candy. If you drop it too hard or tap it, it will shatter (which gives it its name).
The concentrate is breakable due to its thin dimensions that can snap in two at the slightest mishandling. With this in mind, you are advised not to use your bare hands to carry shatter to avoid breaking it. Instead, a dab tool is used for holding the shatter flakes before placing them into storage or a dab rig for consumption. The tool is capable of handling the fragile because of its razor-thin ends.
Other concentrates such as wax are easier to dab than shatter. Wax is malleable and thus easy to scoop. However, specialized dabbing rigs are made to take advantage of these concentrates’ different textures and consistencies.
Conventional ways of using shatter and other concentrates
Dabbing is one of the best ways of taking shatter, but it can be quite conspicuous and less discrete compared to vaping and making edibles. As a result, a lot of people opt out of dabbing for those specific reasons. With that in mind, companies have started innovating specialized atomizers for taking shatter through vaping.
Despite its disadvantages, dabbing can give you a quicker high that is faster than vaping. Moreover, dabbing is less messy since the only output is the smoke that you inhale fully. Here are the steps you can follow if you are a novice at dabbing:
- Use a blow torch to heat the bottom of the dab nail for approximately 60 seconds. Use less heat to activate terpenes since higher temperatures can reduce aromas in the concentrate.
- Allow the rig to cool down and then proceed to place a small portion of the concentrate (dab) into the dabbing rig.
- Cover the dab nail to prevent airflow. Proceed to inhale the vapor as much as possible as quickly as possible and exhale.
Another way of taking cannabis extracts is to concentrate and sprinkle it onto your joint so that you can smoke it like a normal blunt. You may also opt for pipes with screens that can help you smoke the extracts and other forms of weed-like hash and kief.
Edibles come in the forms of chocolates, candies, and any other form of baked products. These edibles are a good idea for those who want to take weed for medicinal purposes. This is because they take some time to kick in and control to avoid addiction and dependency.
First, it is advisable, to begin with, a small dose of about 10-20 milligrams if you are a novice. Expect the drug to kick in after 45-90 minutes. It would be best to exercise patience with edibles since you may be tempted to take more for it to kick in faster. Taking more edibles may give you a bad trip since you will have overindulged by the time the full effects kick in, and the effects will be intense enough for you to green out.
THC capsules are also made to provide a discrete way of taking concentrates like hash. These capsules contain THC oil and are taken like edibles without the ingestion of fat, calories, and sugar. These capsules are sold in many dispensaries and can take between 30-90 minutes to take effect.
Types and ways of vaping concentrates such as shatter
Vaping involves the act of inhaling and exhaling vapour from dried marijuana or a weed concentrate by heating the drug in an electronically powered device like a vape pen. The vaping devices constitute a battery, a heating component (also called an atomizer) powered by the battery, and a cartridge that contains the marijuana concentrate.
You will find people referring to these vaping devices as e-cogs, e-hookahs, vape pens, vapes, mods, tank systems, and Juuls. There is a huge variety of these products, and they come in different sizes and shapes. Some look like pens, while others resemble everyday products to give the weed smoker a discrete way of taking the concentrate.
Vaping utilizes small amounts of heat that do not combust the concentrate but instead heats it to release the cannabinoids and terpenes. The heat is moderated to release the concentrate ingredients at a much slower rate compared to dabbing. This enables you to enjoy the flavour with a less intense high.
Vaping is a great option for sensitive airways since it gently releases the vapour to avoid coughing. Additionally, vaping is very stealthy and discrete compared to smoking and using dabbing rigs. There is no smoke to give you away or any strong smells that make people think you are a junky.
Dab pens are the most affordable and easiest vapes to use due to their simplicity. The dab pens contain the heating chamber, a battery, and the mouthpiece. All you have to do is load the concentrate (preferably wax) into the heating chamber and press a button to vape the fumes. Dab pens are good for solo sessions. However, you may use desktop vaporizers with higher heating and aromatic vapours if you want to vape in a group.
How to Use Shatter in a Vape Pen
The first thing to remember when it comes to vaping is that not all vaporizers are made to accommodate every type of concentrate. Instead, manufacturers make specialized vaporizers that are built for specific concentrates or flowers.
This is done to provide higher efficiency, power, and functionality by considering the different properties of different concentrates. However, you may find some versatile vaporizers capable of heating the dry herb or any cannabis concentrate.
It would help if you also considered the portability of the vaporizer to account for discreteness and ease of use. Desktop vaporizers are good for smoking with your friends but can be tedious if you often smoke alone. Dab pens and other portable vaporizers are the best options for those looking for discrete, lightweight, yet powerful vaporizers.
Below are the simple steps you can follow to vape your shatter concentrate:
- Select the right vaporizer – the atomizer will dictate which concentrate can be used in the vaporizer. Make sure to check if the heating element in your vaporizer is specifically designed and labeled for shatter concentrates. The good news about shatter vape pens is that you can use them to smoke other concentrates and dry marijuana.
- Prepare the vape – start by charging the vape using a USB charger till it is fully powered. Proceed to connect the vaporizer battery to the heating chamber. This process may vary depending on which rig you are using. Some vaporizers have the option of setting the temperature while others like dab pens do not. Set the temperature to the recommended degrees before loading the chamber.
- Place the shatter concentrate into the chamber – load the heating chamber with the help of a dab tool. Shatter breaks easily and that is why this process has to be done gently and carefully using the dabber. Make sure the shatter is in direct contact with the atomizer to distribute the heat evenly.
- Prime the heating chamber – close the heating chamber after loading it and hold down the heating button for a few seconds. This is what we call priming. It helps provide more vapor by thoroughly melting the shatter to give out more vapor that encompasses the entire vaporizer. You do not need to do this but experts say it provides a more potent experience.
- Inhale the vapors – with the mouthpiece connected, proceed to press the heating button and inhale the vapors. Let go of the button once you have inhaled enough vapor and then give it a few seconds to get into your system before exhaling.